Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Getting back to Basics

In my 8 years of dance career, I have learned that to become a good dancer, I need to work on Rhythm, Timing, Flexibility, Control, Strength and Endurance. To get these things, an individual need lots of physical training and regular practice sessions.
When I started dancing, I never knew about these things at that time. For me dance was a medium to have fun, to relax myself and a source of entertainment. But with regular training and a proper guidance, I got to know why I feel relaxed and entertained after dance. The Reason was Rhythm, Timing, Flexibility, Control, Strength and Endurance. Because these things help to move… According to the Rhythm of the song, I have learned when to start and pause… When to go up or down with the help of Timing… Flexibility gave me the freedom to move freely according to the beat or a concept of a song… I have learned to control the body movements on a song so that I can do justice with my every move… Strength and Endurance gave me opportunity to manage all the above for a long period of time.
Time passed and I have become better in these basic requirements of dance but I am still not at my best because if I reach to my best than it will become difficult to learn the rest.
I am glad that I have learned these basic things which are helping me in becoming extra-ordinary and today I am a teacher who is imparting this knowledge of dance to many people. I have taught many people but I am unable to teach my own physical mind.
My physical mind is like an untrained dancer who is dancing but not understanding his own moves. The reason behind that is my mind hasn’t learned the basic responsibility of life which is exactly the same as basic responsibility of a Dancer.
I like to relate my behavior in life with the things around me and that’s why today I am relating my life with an untrained dancer. Like I said earlier that when I began dancing, I didn’t know the reason and importance of basics, similarly with the pass of my lifetime I haven’t learn the basic of life.
As a person I have a problem in my timing, I have never been to a perfect place at the perfect time. When my parents needed me the most I was spending my time to find out what I need in my life. Before passing my student life, I was focusing on my career life which was again wrong timing. This wrong timing behavior made me lose the Rhythm of my life. Now I wish I could have done the right thing at the right time it would be better.
I was so stubborn that I had no flexibility in my past; because I was inflexible I lost many opportunities to grow in my relationships and career. I wanted things my way but I forgot that I am not a musician but just a dancer who can adjust the rhythm of the song but can’t change it. I lost many friends, relatives and job opportunities because I was not ready to adjust and I was inflexible with time. I wanted to control time but I forgot to control my own self. Inflexibility gave me the habit of controlling people because of which I lost a good time of relationships in no time.
Today when I am writing this I am not depressed but I am concerned about my happy life and luckily I have 2 basic things (Strength and Endurance) left with me which I didn’t use at my fall but now I can use them. Strength and Endurance will be my positive weapon to get hold on my basics. With the correct use of my strength and endurance, I can get my Rhythm, timing, flexibility and control in my life. My Life gave me an opportunity to learn the basic of Dance and Dance gave me an opportunity to refresh my memory towards basic of Life.
Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves, or we know where we can find information on it. – Samuel Johnson

Carrie Ficher says - "I dont want life to imitate art...I want life to be Art..."

2 comments:

  1. amazing stuff Vaibhav. I'm so happy to see you are as positive about your life as I would hope. Great things are coming your way, not only because of the amazing dancer you are, but also because of the amazing person that you are.
    I will miss you when you go back to India.
    Having you as a teacher has been awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed we all go thru almost the same situations in life but it is only a fraction of us who really realize and stay positive .....U sure will reach for the heights as U know what U need to work on & are equally positive about it...
    So positivity along with strength & endurance will surely get u where U want to be ....... :)

    ReplyDelete